She gave a wonderful presentation on breaking down electric vehicle myths in Costa Rica, more broadly across Latin America, and even more broadly across the world. The presentation is definitely worth a watch, so have at it!
A few major points worth remembering:
- There are far more charging points than gas stations, and many of them are inside people’s garages.
- Conventional hybrids are not the same as plug-in cars and generally lack the power and smooth driving experience of plug-in cars, not to mention the convenience of home charging.
- There aren’t nearly as many fast charging stations needed as some people claim, primarily because EV drivers don’t use charging stations like gas/diesel car drivers do — ~80% of charging is done at work or home.
- The best way to explain the benefits of electric cars is to just get them into electric cars and show them how they charge.
- The key is people — people who convince people who convince people.
Monica was born and raised in Costa Rica and started working on sustainability when she was 19, and has worked on it non-stop for more than 20 years. In 2014, Monica founded Nivela, a thought-leadership group devoted to clean development and Costa Rica Limpia, a citizen initiative (limpia means “clean”).