CircunvalacionOBRASHeroFullThe unexpected rain Friday afternoon over most of San José will mean a delay in the re-opening of the four lanes of the Circunvalación, scheduled for Monday.

The Consejo Nacional de Vialidad (Conavi) said last night that the re-opening will now take place at 5am Wednesday, when the first of two permanent concrete bridges will be operational.

The “heavy downpour” Friday afternoon caugh many by surprise.

Conavi engineer, Mauricio Sojo, said that the pouring of the concrete between the joints of the prefab concrete slabs had been scheduled for Friday, and allowing for three days to cure, the re-opening Monday was on schedule.

The last 15 days has been a nightmare for drivers of the Circunvalación in the area of Pavas and Hatillo.

Two weeks ago began the process of removing the two Bailey bridges on the southbound lanes to enable the erection of a permanent structure.

Once that is completed Wednesday (weather permitting), the process is repeated for the northbound lanes, meaning the nightmare continues for at least two or three more weeks.

Once complete, the 75 metre permanente concrete span, traffic between Pavas and Hatillo 8 – and the surrounding areas – should return to normal.

For now, while construction through the area continues, the 81.000 vehicles that use the Circunvalación daily have to put up with the delays and nightly closings from 10pm to 5am.