Traveling to and from Costa Rica’s San Jose airport can be affected by Hurricane Otto. At the Q we’ve compiled a list of airlines with regular service to and from the San Jose (SJO) airport, Costa Rica’s main international airport.
If we’ve missed an airline, please add it in the comments section or send us an email. Airline contact numbers in Costa Rica in parenthesis.
- San Jose airport (2437-2400) www.fly2sanjose.com
- Aeromexico (2231-6891) www.aeromexico.com
- Air Canada (0800-0521988) Air Canada Flight Status
- Air France () www.airfrance.fr
- Air Panama (2222-0433) www.airpanama.com
- Air Transat () www.airtransat.com
- Alaska Airlines (800-252-7522) Alaska Airlines Flight Status
- American Airlines (2248-9010) American Airlines Flight Status
- Avianca / Lacsa (2299-8222) Avianca Flight Status
- British Airways () www.britishairways.com
- Condor (2440-2612) www.condor.com
- Copa Airlines (2223-2672) www.copa.com
- Cubana (221 6918) www.cubana.cu
- Delta Airlines (2257 4141) Delta Flight Status
- Eastern Airlines () www.easternairlines.aero
- Iberia (4000 0225) www.iberia.com
- Interjet (0800 521 589) www.interject.com
- JetBlue (0800 0121666) JetBlue Flight Status
- Nature Air (2299 6000) www.natureair.com
- Sansa Regional (2290 4100) www.flysansa.co
- Soutwest Airlines (08000 121916) Southwest Airlines Flight Status
- Spirit Airlines (400 1887) www.spirit.com
- United Airlines (0800 0444 0005) United Airlines Flight Status
- Veca Airlines (4000 1965) www.vecaairlines.com
- Volaris (4002 7462) www.volaris.com
- Westjet () Westjet Flight Status
Travelers should inquire about the weather, if they traveling to or from Costa Rica. If you are abroad, this point is of special consideration because not necessarily the airline will wait at the closing of the airport to take the precaution of not taking off, that is to say an airline may cancel or postpone a flight even though the Costa Rica airport is operational (not closed).
Important to note, when the operation of the flight is suspended towards Costa Rica, it is possible that the return (outbound) flights that departing from Costa Rica will be affected. Contact your airline.
In some cases, the airlines operate a turn-around flight, so if the flight does not land during the scheduled time, the departure will also be cancelled or delayed. For example, flights coming in late at night, ie American, Delta, United will depart early the next morning. If the evening flight does not come in, there is no morning flight.
At the time of this post Aeris, the airport manager reports normal operations at San Jose.
For information on flights to and from the Liberia, Guanacaste (LIR) airport go to http://www.liberiacostaricaairport.net/.