COSTA RICA NEWS – Is the government running from the press, is a question that is being asked by many journalists given the recent events on Thursday that left reporters empty handed after the Ministro de la Presidencia, Melvin Jiménez, said he was too busy to answer questions and President Luis Guillermo Solís dashing off after a government stragegy session.
The President had been, until Thursday, accustomed to fielding questions from the press on a regular basis, especially following cabinet and other government sessions.
On Thursday, however, he sped off without a word.
As to Jiménez, he recently stated that his agenda was too full to constantly be answering questions from reporters, as such designated one day a week – Thursdays – for the activity.
However, this Thursday he resufed to take questions or give any statements.
Jiménez is in the hot seat for alleged payments to Guatuso deputy mayor, Wilscon Campos, to participate in PAC party meetings to discredit the leadership of PAC party founder and leader,Ottón Solís.
The allegations are supported by PAC legislator Victor Morales Zapata, who noted that he also made payments to Campos in relation to the plan against Solís.
Jiménez denies any such payments and calls the tales as “fanciful story telling.”
Although not directly related to President Solís and Jiménez, the Ethics Tribunal of the PAC this week did an about-faced and once again suspended legislator Victor Hugo Morales from the party. The PAC Ethics Tirbunal said Morales did not tell the party in August of 2013 that he had been accused of a crime in the past.
Unfortunately the party cannot remove him from the legislative post he was elected to on behalf of the party. The Constitutional Court says that once someone is elected the party can’t remove him. He refuses to resign his legislative seat and was seen last month cozying up to President Luis Guillermo Solis.
Sources: Diario Extra; iNews.co.cr