• Opponents don’t believe the concession contract is cancelled
  • Government action was to pacify public ahead of Obama visit

Just when you thought all the roadblocks and demonstrations were over, opponents to the San José – San Ramon road concession say they will continue their protests, this because they believe the concession contract is not dead.

The Foro Nacional suspects that the cancellation of the concession contract by Presidenta Laura Chinchilla was only to pacify the people before the arrival of U.S. President Barack Obama to Costa Rica.

The Foro believes that the actions of the government contradict the words of the Presidenta, and as such have organized a protest march for Thursday, May 16.

The protest is to call the attention of the public who have been led to believe that the concession contract with the Brazilian firm, OAS, is dead. The Foro Nacional said they will hold a press conference during the protest to point out the points of their fight against this project.

Following the announcement of the concession contract early last month, public outcry lead to the government back tracking and on April 29, says ahead of the Obama visit, Presidenta Laura Chinchilla said in a national television broadcast her government would be cancelling the contract.

This act quelled planned protests before and during the historic presidential visit that occurred on May 3 and 4.

Monday, May 5, the minister of Planning, Fernando Chacon, announced that a termination letter had been sent to OAS and that an auditor would be hired to calculate compensation of costs for the constructions company.

The impression is that the termination is of mutual accord. However, OAS, has 60 days (from last Monday) to respond to the termination letter.