You’ve been hard at work in Costa Rica making money online, getting paid for goods and services. And now how do you get paid in Costa Rica? If you have a US bank account and US verified address, simple. Apply for a PayPal debit card that can be used at your local ATM.
But, what if you are not a US citizen, don’t have a US bank account or a US verified address? In Costa Rica, PayPal offers you the option of opening a business account with the Banco Nacional and getting money transferred to your Costa Rican bank account.
Another option, is a Payoneer account. This is not an ad for Payoneer (though the link will earn $25 to my account and your new account), I sharing this information with you because now there is a solution because, though PayPal doesn’t support local bank transfers (other than to Banco Nacional), they will transfer to your Payoneer account by way of the US Payment Service.
In addition, you can add you Payoneer debit card to your PayPal account.
Here are the steps. If you are skeptical feel free to call Payoneer and PayPal and verify for yourself.
1. You need to open a Payoneer account, set up the US Payment service and get a Payoneer debit card. Opening an account is free and all done online. You do not need a US bank account.
2. Before you can add your Payoneer bank account to PayPal you will have to call Payoneer to get a US verified address. You cannot change the country in your Payoneer account Your Payoneer account will always be tied to your Costa Rica address. When calling Payoneer explain that you are setting up the link with PayPal and you will be sent a verified US address. The Bank Routing Number and Bank Account Number is already in your Payoneer account if you have set up the US Payment Service.
3. Go to your PayPal account, add a bank using the verified Payoneer address. Successfully submitted, PayPal will send an email to confirm that the bank transfer process will usually be completed in 2-5 business days. In this process, Paypal will the make two small deposits to your Payoneer bank account and your must confirm the deposit information you can then complete the verification process before you can transfer funds from PayPal to your Payoneer account. With the accout funded you can now use your Payoneer debit card at any ATM.
4. You can also add your Payoneer debit card to your PayPal account. You must have funded your Payoneer card with a few dollars before you can add and verify it with PayPal. Your Payoneer card can now be used with your PayPal account balance.
Some points to keep in mind:
- One, there are fees and time delays associated with bank transfers and they take days.
- Two, the PayPal – Payoneer relationship is one way, that is you can move funds from PayPal to Payoneer, but not the other way.
- As with any electronic system take care in reviewing your online transactions.
- If and when you can get a PayPal debit card
The foregoing IS ONLY ADVICE based my personal experience with using PayPal and Payoneer. If you have any questions please contact PayPal and/or Payoneer directly.
Editor @ QCostarica.com