QCOSTARICA | Expats with residency in Costa Rica face having to renew with Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (CAJA) – social security – when renewing their residency. And while renewing residency is not complicated, renewing the CAJA can be for married couples.

Expats not married in Costa Rica are required to submit a new, notarized and apostilled copy of their marriage certificate, not less than 30 days old. This, for many couples can be difficult and expensive.

If the couple is married in Costa Rica, the certificate is obtained quickly from the Registro Civil (Registry office).

A Facebook group is offering solution to couples facing this problem, staging a “Wed-in” on Valentines Day (Feb. 14), in Atenas, minutes west of the San Jose airport.

According to organizers, the wedding is sanctioned and perfectly legal: the only requirement is that you have to affirm that there is no legal limitations (to either spouse) to marry.

Once married in Costa Rica, the problem of getting the “foreign” marriage certificate is over.

If you are interested in getting married in Costa Rica contact your lawyer or notary. If you are interested in the Wed-in, contact Pat Wegner or John Wegner or attorney Rafael Valverde or visit the Gringo Expats Facebook page.

Stay up to date with the latest stories by signing up to our newsletter, or following us on Facebook.