An electrical short circuit caused a fire burning down the popular gay strip club in downtown San José, known as Pucho’s.

Firefighters responded to a call Sunday morning of a fire in a soda (small restaurant) next to Pucho’s at corner of Avenida 10 and Calle 11.

Although firefighters were able to bring the fire under control in less than 20 minutes, the fire had spread rapidly due mainly to wood construction and fibreglass insulation, destroying the soda and the club.

Pucho’s Nightclub is described as a gay low-rent (and significantly raunchier) than some male outpost, featuring scantily-clad go-go boys and over-the-top drag shows.

This is not the first time Pucho’s has caught fire, the first time four years ago, when a criminal hand set the fire.

Stay up to date with the latest stories by signing up to our newsletter, or following us on Facebook.