QCOSTARICA – The photo from the book of Manuel Gómez Miralles shows the construction of the Parroquia de Santiago (Santiago Parrish) in Cartago.

Today, it is known as the “ruinas de Cartago” (Cartago Ruins), located Plaza Mayor of the old metropolis (vieja metrópoli) as Cartago is commonly known.

The construction of this church began in mid-nineteenth century and had to stop by the earthquake of 1910 and two more later. The construction never resumed.



Stay up to date with the latest stories by signing up to our newsletter, or following us on Facebook.