Monday 5 December 2022

7 People Killed In 8 days in drive by shootings

Most of the murders were related to drug trafficking, authorities rule out random shootings

Paying the bills

Latest

The 100 best companies and leaders in Costa Rica in reputation according to Merco

QCOSTARICA - Dos Pinos, Florida Ice and Farm (FIFCO),...

Remember today’s holiday is non-compulsory payment

QCOSTARICA - This Monday is the last long-weekend holiday...

Two hopes crushed in one game at Qatar World Cup group stage

QCOSTARICA - A thrilling Thursday in Qatar has brought...

Political abandonment condemns farmers to ruin and pushes them to extinction

QCOSTARICA (Semanario Universidad) The end of 2022 leaves the...

Cuba’s Informal Market Finds New Space on Growing Internet

Q24N (VOA) Havana — In the Telegram group chat, the...

Lagoon Dries Up as Drought Grips Peru’s Southern Andes

Q24N (VOA) From her home under the baking sun...

How to Choose Hotel for Your Next Trip

Choosing the right hotel isn’t a piece of cake,...

Dollar Exchange

¢601.14 Buy

¢609.83 Sell

3 December 2022 - At The Banks - BCCR

Paying the bills

Share

Seven people traveling in cars were shot dead and two others injured in 8 days (September 1 and 8) in different parts of the country, according to data from the Organismo de Investigación Judicial (OIJ).

Two of the attacks resulted in double victims, while the others were of a single victim each.

- Advertisement -

The most recent attack Sunday night (September 8) when two men who were inside a car, outside a fast-food restaurant in Hatillo 5, San José, when shot dead.

In this case, as is many of the cases, there were multiple gunmen, on a motorcycle, shooting at the intended victims in a moving or stopped car.

Ernesto Durán, head of the Sección de Inspecciones Oculares y Recolección de Indicios (Siori) – Crime Scene Unit – of the OIJ, said it is presumed that most of the cases are linked to drug trafficking, ruling out random shootings.

Durán points to the case in Cartago Saturday night, in the area of Cabello Blanco de Dulce Nombre, where the intended victims were the leader of a drug gang that was broken up by the OIJ Monday morning, and his girlfriend, who died Monday morning in hospital. The two children in the vehicle survived the attack.

Walter Espinoza, head of the OIJ, said they suspect the attack was led by the former leader of the drug gang.

- Advertisement -

“The gang operated for months in Cartago, monopolizing the sale of crack and marijuana in various bunkers, primarily in the Llanos de Santa Lucia.

“They had people dedicated  exclusively to selling drugs, while others were in charge of distribution to the points of sale, collecting money and administration,” said Espinoza.

In the Monday morning raid in 19 different locations, including homes and bunkers, 15 people were arrested, 25 firearms seized and an untold amount of cash and drugs.

- Advertisement -

So far this year (up to Monday, September 9) the OIJ reports 380 homicides, 31 less than the same period last year.

 

- Advertisement -
Paying the bills
Avatar photo
Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

United States keeps Costa Rica on list of countries “not fight drug trafficking”

QCOSTARICA - United States president, Joe Biden, Joe Biden, ratified the...

Pepe Mujica favors legalizing drugs to hurt traffickers

Q24N (MercoPress) “Drug trafficking is worse than drugs because it fills...

Subscribe to our stories

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.