Thursday 23 September 2021

China Expects A One-year Delay In Construction Of Road To Limon

Paying the bills

Latest

Today’s Vehicle Restriction September 23: Plates ending in “7 & 8” CANNOT circulate

QCOSTARICA - For today, Thursday, September 23, vehicles with...

Carlos Alvarado denounces violations of the Daniel Ortega regime to the UN

QCOSTARICA - In New York, Costa Rica President Carlos...

High Number of European Tourists Traveling to Costa Rica in Spite of the Pandemic

QCOSTARICA - A total of 21,969 tourists from European...

Costa Rica second last in economic recovery in the region

QCOSTARICA - The Central American region experiences very different...

TOP-5 real estate communities for a family life

Despite the fact that COVID-19 is slowing down the...

Today’s Vehicle Restriction September 22: Plates ending in “5 & 6” CANNOT circulate

QCOSTARICA - For today, Wednesday, September 22, vehicles with...

Group charged migrants US$22K to get them to the United States.

QCOSTARICA - A Costa Rican-Panamanian criminal structure charged migrants...
Paying the bills

Share

The 345-meter-long bridge over the Reventazon River is one of eight that is in critical condition, according to a report by the National Laboratory of Materials and Structural Models (Lanamme).

The Chinese company, China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC), in charge of the reconstruction of 107 kilometers of the Ruta 32 (San Jose – Limon) project will start construction work in the second half of 2018, and not in September of this year, as originally planned.

The company says the delay is due to the fact that the Costa Rican State has not yet completed all of the necessary procedures to begin the project, such as permits to cut down trees are not processed, there are no proposals to relocate public services such as water, electricity and Internet cabling. Also, there are up to 1,000 expropriations of pending land and an archaeological study to be done.

- Advertisement -

All this will delay, at least a year, the start of the project.

In an article on Nacion.com, Zhou Jingxiong, project manager for (CHEC), the Chinese state-owned construction company said, “… that these problems will prevent them from starting in September, as the contract says, and in the best of cases they could do so in the second half of 2018.”

Jingxiong added that, “… we will deliver the final designs of the new 107-kilometer route on August 15. However, the little amount of progress made by the State in the tasks that are pending will postpone the execution of the project. After the CHEC submits final plans to the National Road Council (Conavi), the administration will have 45 days to review and authorize them.”

Another problem is that there is still uncertainty as to how additional work will be financed, such as new overpasses and marginal roads that were not considered in the initial design. “… The Council is not clear where the money will come from to pay for these changes. Kenneth Solano, manager of Conavi’s executing unit, told Nacion.com that CHEC offered to lobby for an extension of the loan with Eximbank, but so far nothing has been made concrete.”

The project, “a megacarretera” will be financed a US$365 million dollar credit granted by the Asian bank Eximbank, and US$100 million dollars provided by the government of Costa Rica, which was approved by the Legislative Assembly in February of 2015. Nevertheless, the Conavi did not give the order to the Chinese until December 2016 because he did not have the environmental permits.

To get the project moving, the CHEC hired and paid for a private company to obtain environmental viability.

- Advertisement -

For Jingxiong, the Costa Rican government needs to simplify the procedures and that the institutions involved collaborate to streamline the road project.

However, the Conavi contends that CHEC should start in September despite the setbacks. The idea is that the Chinese can begin working on the 32 bridges, of the first stage of the project, because several of them do not require expropriation or relocation of services.

Despite presenting this scenario, Kenneth Solano, manager of the Conavi executing unit, did not guarantee that the work will begin in September.

- Advertisement -
Paying the bills
Q Costa Rica
Reports by QCR staff

Related Articles

China’s Ruta 32 roadbuilder gets free pass: a two year extension and US$100M

QCOSTARICA - The construction company China Harbor Engineering Company (CHEC) is...

Ruta 32 (San Jose – Limon) CLOSED to 5am Friday!

QCOSTARICA - The Ruta 32, which connects San José with Limón,...

Subscribe to our stories

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.