Saturday 18 September 2021

Costa Rica: “Better handling of production costs can lead to lower prices”

Paying the bills

Latest

What are we celebrating?

QCOSTARICA - From the gallows humor department is the...

Sala IV rejects covid patient’s claim for Caja to pay the cost of a private hospital

QCOSTARICA - A claim made by a family against...

Finally, migrant population in Costa Rica will be vaccinated against covid-19

QCOSTARICA - After complaints raised by migrants because they...

Costa Rica is the Main Exporter of Palm Oil in 2020

QCOSTARICA - In 2020, Costa Rica was the largest...

Uruguay considers allowing tourists to buy marijuana

Q24N - The first country in the world to...

Today’s Vehicle Restriction September 18: “ODD” ending plates CANNOT circulate

QCOSTARICA - Starting today, September 18, we go back...

500 Intel drones illuminated the night of celebration of the Bicentennial of Costa Rica

QCOSTARICA - During the celebration of the Bicentennial of...
Paying the bills

Share

visa_pinas
Productos Agropecuarios VISA exports pineapples to Europe and the US

Fresh Plaza – Although Productos Agropecruarios VISA also grows rambutan, yucca and yam, the firm’s main product for export are pineapples. These are produced at the firm’s own plantations, allowing it to control the entire production process.

“We own around 42 hectares for rambutan and another 5 hectares for yucca and yam,” said Joselyn Villalobos Salas, “but we have 500 hectares for pineapples.” The firm owns plantations and a production plant in northern Costa Rica, allowing them to grow, harvest and pack their entire production. From July to September they produce rambutan for both the domestic and the export markets, but they are able to supply pineapples all year round.

- Advertisement -

“80% of our exports are shipped to Europe and the other 20% to the United States,” said Villalobos. “Our main markets in Europe are the Netherlands, Spain, England, Italy, France and Germany.” He also said that Russia is an interesting market during Christmas, but only for a certain variety of ornamental pineapple.

visa_rambutan
The Rambutan is known in Costa Rica as the “ mamón chino (“Chinese Sucker”)

In the long term, the firm wishes to increase its production capacity and open a processing plant for the dehydration and canning of pineapples. The only problem is that a large investment is needed for this. Villalobos said that although the financial situation is not ideal, such investments are necessary.

“If we compare the current market with that four years ago, it is no longer as profitable; however, taking good advantage of the opportunities that arise and with a better handling of production costs, among other aspects, it is possible to increase production volumes while maintaining the quality,” said Villalobos. “Production costs must drop, which is exactly what we have done, allowing us to continue being successful.”

- Advertisement -
Paying the bills
Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

[BLOG] Costa Rican Electric Company – General Maintenance Procedures

During my fifteen plus years of living in Costa Rica, I...

Heliport, Money and Weapons in Costa Rica

Following reports by residents of Las Asturias de Pococí about flyovers...

Subscribe to our stories

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.