Saturday, 30 May 2020

Fuente Will Once Again Make Cigars in Nicaragua

Arturo Fuente, known for its Dominican cigars, has announced plans for a new cigar factory in Estelí, Nicaragua. It is called “Gran Fabrica de Tabacos La Bella y La Bestia.”

On Jan 26th, Carlito Fuente surprised those in attendance at Puro Sabor 2018 when he announced that “Carlito’s Back!” in Nicaragua. Arturofuente.com

“I’m very grateful to Nicaragua and the people of Nicaragua. I’m back in Nicaragua. Carlito’s back,” said Carlos “Carlito” Fuente Jr. “This factory is just putting my heart, planting my flag here in Estelí.”

Fuente Jr. said the company opted for a colonial look, opposed to a factory that looks Cuban, as a tribute to Nicaragua. He credited Manny Iriarte of being able to sketch his vision.

It will be built on a property the family acquired many years ago. The plot of land is described as roughly two and a half times that of the property of the company’s main factory in the Dominican Republic. The company plans additional buildings, such as tobacco storage and packaging, on the land in the future.

- paying the bills -

This year marks 30 years since the company’s last Nicaraguan factory was burned down during the Nicaraguan Revolution. Carlos Fuente Sr. had opened a factory in Nicaragua in the 1970s following the Cuban Revolution. That factory employed 300 people and produced 18,000 cigars.

After the factory was burned in 1978 and the loss of the company’s factory in Honduras a year later, the company decided to go to the Dominican Republic, where its cigars have been produced since 1980.

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Eye of the Shark, Cigar Aficionado’s 2017 Cigar of the Year.

The announcement was made at the company’s farms in Estelí, which have been functioning for a handful of years now.

Fuente is finishing construction of a new Dominican factory last year, the latest in a series of construction projects in both the Dominican Republic and its home in Tampa.

Felix Mesa will oversee the new operation when it opens.

- paying the bills -

“I think of my father so much because this is my father’s dream to come back,” said Fuente. “I’m coming here with my heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears because of my colleagues, my family and friends.”

He also said the Cigar Family Charitable Foundation, the family’s foundation with the Newman family, will also come to Nicaragua.

Fuente Jr. told halfwheel construction would start “immediately,” though admitted there wasn’t an exact day for a groundbreaking ceremony.

Article originally appeared on Today Nicaragua and is republished here with permission.

Previous articleThe Gringo Bubble
Next articleCosta Rica’s Choice
Q24N
Q24N
Q24N is an aggregator of news for Latin America. Reports from Mexico to the tip of Chile and Caribbean are sourced for our readers to find all their Latin America news in one place.

Related Articles

The challenge of getting a Covid-19 test in Nicaragua

An American who lives in Nicaragua posted on Monday, April 6,...

Lucía Pineda assures that “Daniel Ortega will soon come out of his eternal quarantine”

100% Noticias journalist Lucía Pineda tweeted Monday morning that President Daniel...

MOST READ

Whom to believe, hackers or your BCR bank?

(Rico's Digest) “To our great regret, executives, employees, regulators, Visa and Master Card are not interested in the data breach that we talked about...

President Alvarado announces cabinet shakeup

(QCOSTARICA) President Carlos Alvaradothis Thursday announced changes in the ministers of Finance, Communication, and Science and Technology: Rodrigo Chaves, Luis Adrián Salazar and Nancy...

Costa Rica flows

Costa Rica flows: seeks to reduce red tape to revive the economy

Costa Rica will be the world’s No. 1 surfing destination, after covid-19

Surfers who will travel again in search of waves and also consider the sanitary measures carried out by country during the coronavirus, will find...

Coronavirus in Costa Rica: 28 new cases, “main risk for the country is Nicaragua”;

(QCOSTARICA) Health Minister Daniel Salas had a clear message at the press conference on Wednesday: the main risk for Costa Rica is the situation...

Coronavirus in Costa Rica: Seven new cases for a total of 918

The Ministry of Health reported this Saturday seven new cases of Coronavirus, for a total of 918 since the first case was reported on...

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Costa Rica and Latin America.

Article originally appeared on Today Nicaragua and is republished here with permission.