Tuesday 22 June 2021

Infinto Loses Farms in Suit

COSTA RICA NEWS — The Canadian gold mining firm Industrias Infinito came to this country to dig out precious metal but has spent more time in court than in its La Crucitas mine. Now the firm has lost six farms it owned that were embargoed by the court after it lost a defamation suit against two university professors.

Photo: Elpais.cr
Photo: Elpais.cr

The defense of professors Nicolas Boeglin and Jorge Arturo Lobo won the suit and the court ordered Infinito to pay their legal expenses, claimed to be 117 million colones. When payment did not come, the professors went to court and the court embargoed the farms.

- Advertisement -

The professors were granted 59 million each in legal expenses. The lawyer for the professors told La Nacion, “They (the mining company) won’t pay because they don’t want to…honor their debt. There’s a confirmed sentence in the Criminal Tribunal that must be paid. They’re obliged to.”

The case won by University of Costa Rica (UCR) biologist Lobo went into effect in March of last year as did the case of UCR law professor Boeglin. The mining company sued the professors for statements they made in a critical documentary on Infinito’s legal problems called “Fool’s Gold.”

Infinito was in a suing mood when it took on the two professors. The company also sued the current lawmaker for Wide Front Party Edgardo Araya. The firm filed against former Citizen Action Party (PAC) lawmakers Manrique Oviedo and Claudio Monge for also allegedly staining the corporate honor.

The company entered this country to establish the La Crucitas mine in Cutris in huge San Carlos canton. It would have been an open pit mine but was opposed by residents and environmentalists who charged that the company itself was a hazard to the ambiance because of use of deadly chemicals to refine gold.

- Advertisement -

The company had backing of then President Oscar Arias who put the development of the mine on fast track by declaring the mine “in the public interest” but left office in May, 2010. When President Lara Chinchilla took office that year, she was not as sympathetic.

In November of that year, the court found for the opponents of the gold mine and cancelled the concession. The decision was upheld on appeal and later President Chinchilla published a decree banning open pit mining.

But the company seems unfazed by its numerous legal setbacks and a spokesman told La Nacion that it has no intention of leaving the country. Moreover, the company has filed a complaint with the international mediation body CIADI contesting the cancellation of the concession.

Potentially at stake are tens of millions of dollars in precious metal that the company does not want to lose.

Article by iNews.co.cr, reposted with permission

- Advertisement -

FACT CHECK:
We strive for accuracy in its reports. But if you see something that doesn’t look right, send us an email. The Q reviews and updates its content regularly to ensure it’s accuracy.

Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

Today’s Covid News: Less than 800 new cases for the first time in two months

QCOSTARICA - For the first time in two months, less than...

First five months of the year reflect recovery of Costa Rican exports

QCOSTARICA - The value of Costa Rica exports increased by 23%...

MOST READ

Fifth tropical wave precipitation will be heavier in the north of the country

QCOSTARICA - For this Wednesday, the arrival of the fifth tropical wave of the season is expected, thus reinforcing the rainy activity mainly to...

First five months of the year reflect recovery of Costa Rican exports

QCOSTARICA - The value of Costa Rica exports increased by 23% in the first five months of the year, being the highest growth in...

Construction companies that paid alleged bribes would be disqualified for ten years

QCOSTARICA - If it is proven in a final judgment that they did pay bribes to Conavi officials, several companies could be disqualified from...

Tourism sector depends on political will for recovery

QCOSTARICA - The future of tourism operators in Costa Rica depends on the political will to approve a package of bills that favors the...

Since 2018 MECO has received contracts from the State for more than ¢139 billion

QCOSTARICA - Almost ¢140 billion colones (US$227 million dollars) is the amount the MECO construction company was able to snare for public works contracts...

New trends in coffee consumption challenge sector

QCOSTARICA - Changes in consumption habits in terms of times, types of preparation and specialties challenge the coffee sector. Most of the consumers in Costa...

Today’s Vehicle Restriction June 20: only “EVENS” can circulate

Today, Sunday, June 20, only vehicles with "EVEN" ending plates CAN circulate The measure is countrywide and applied between 5:00 am and 9:00 pm, save...

Week immersed in passage of tropical wave, June Solstice and Veranillo

QCOSTARICA - Today, Monday, June 21, is the day of the year when the sun stays the longest on the horizon, therefore it is...

Full court decides not to investigate or dismiss Emilia Navas

QCOSTARICA - Emilia Navas will not be removed from her position as attorney general, after calls for her to step down due to her...

WANT TO STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST!

Get our daily newsletter with the latest posts directly in your mailbox. Click on the subscribe and fill out the form. It's that simple!

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.