Rico’s TICO BULL – Several Facebook pages are using photos from 2016 to affirm that groups of Nicaraguans are burning the Costa Rican flag in different parts of the country.
The image used belong, really, to a punk concert performed in Sabanilla de Montes de Oca more than two years ago. Those involved in the burning were not Nicaraguans.
False information regarding Nicaraguan migrants has increased in recent weeks, while the visa and refuge requests grow to legalize their stay in the country given the current situation in Nicaragua, mired in a socio-political crisis for more than three months that has left hundreds dead.
In the past week, false information circulating the social media:
- The University of Costa Rica (UCR) giving “full scholarships” to Nicaraguan refugees;
- That the Foreign Ministry is revoking visas for Nicaraguan politicians;
- That President Carlos Alvarado signed a decree to give economic aid to ‘trans-Nicaraguan women’;
- Housing is being built in Alajuelita for Nicaraguan refugees;
- Nicaragua is sending its criminals to Costa Rica to incite disturbances.
Use the comment section below or post to our official Facebook page any false information you come across.