Thursday 29 September 2022

Ruta 32 Expansion Continues Without Completing Even 1 Of 1,200 Possible Expropriations

Paying the bills

Latest

Diplomatic slip? President Chaves congratulates Italian political party

QCOSTARICA - Experts in international relations consider unconventional  Costa...

Costa Rica legislators reject global income tax

QCOSTARICA - The Treasury Affairs Legislative Committee rejected a...

Therapeutic abortion: how accessible is it for women in Costa Rica?

QCOSTARICA - In Costa Rica, therapeutic abortion is allowed...

Best Things To Do in Costa Rica

Stunning beaches, lush rainforests, mountains with waterfalls, and charming...

Retirement Calculator for Married Couples

The sooner you make a retirement plan, the better...

State of alert lowered due to decrease in the influence of hurricane IAN

QCOSTARICA - Costa Rica has decreased the state of...

Cuba legalizes gay marriage

Q24N - Cubans approved in a referendum with 66.87%...

Dollar Exchange

¢628.19 Buy

¢636.39 Sell

29 September 2022 - At The Banks - BCCR

Paying the bills

Share

18 months after having started the expansion of the Ruta 32 (San Jose – Limon), the Ministerio de Obras Publicas y Transporters (MOPT) – Ministry of Public Works and Transportation – is still looking to reduce the number of lands that the contractor will need to complete the road work.

The Toro Amarillo river in Guapiles. Photo: Albert Marín.

In fact, the government has yet to even complete one of the possible 1,200 expropriations required to complete the 107 kilometers between the Rio Frio intersection in Guapiles and the city of Limon.

According to the information released on Monday, 150 cases are currently being processed and another 1,050 are still in the preparation and analysis phase.

The expansion underway is between Rio Frio (Guapiles) and the city of Limon
- Advertisement -

In addition, the MOPT has asked the China Harbor Engineering Company (CHEC) the is carrying out the road work to modify the designs so that they conform as much as possible to the existing right-of-way. In other words, reduce the number of expropriations and effectively reduce any possible delays and outlay of money.

Meanwhile, the head of the Consejo Nacional de Vialidad (CONAVI) – National Road Council, Mario Rodriguez, said they believe that the expropriations will not become an obstacle. At least so far it has not been a problem.

In addition, he said that the latest amendment to the law of expropriations will allow the cases to be processed more quickly because the State can take possession of the property while the government and owner of the land work out the value of the expropriated lands.

In the past, the valuation process would bring a project to a halt while the two sides argue the case through the courts.

The Chinese company CHEC was awarded the contract for the expansion of the Ruta 32

In a summary on the progress of the project, the MOPT on Monday said currently 19 of the 33 bridges to be built have a 40% progress. These are structures that are located in Matina, Pococí, Guácimo and Siquirres.

In addition, the company must carry out works on the existing bridges, which work will begin once all the new bridges have been built.

- Advertisement -

The project also calls for 13 overpasses, of which work has only begun on one in the area of Guácimo. The project also requires work on the oil pipeline that runs along the Ruta 32, power lines by the Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad (ICE) and water and sewer mains by the Acueductos y Alcantarillados (AyA).

The Chinese contractor must also build the intersections at Rio Frío, Guápiles, Siquirres and in the access to the Container Terminal in Moín.

Work on the road expansion began in November 2017, with a contracted construction period of 34 months.

February last, Zhou Jingxiong, the head of the CHEC company, in an interview with La Nacion

The buidling 33 new bridges and the reconstruction of existing ones is time consuming
- Advertisement -

in February, said an extension of the contract will be inevitable given that only 6% of the work has been carried out in less than one-third of the term.

In the interview, Zhou said that the delays in the work are due, among other things, that when they received the order to start they did not have all the conditions to start working and then the Government added extra work that will demand more time.

The original contract was for US$465 million dollars, increasing to US$505 million with additional work requests. The work is being financed by US$100 million dollars from the government and the balance by way of a loan by the Eximbank.

 

- Advertisement -
Paying the bills
Avatar photo
Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

Cambronero to be closed for at least three months

QCOSTARICA - This Sunday, the Minister of the MOPT, Luis Amador,...

You can see it coming …

QCOSTARICA (OPINION) Unlike the wall of debris and water that came...

Subscribe to our stories

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.