Tuesday, 27 October 2020

US approves return of non-emergency personnel to Nicaragua

The United States on Wednesday approved the return to Nicaragua of non-emergency personnel and diplomats’ family members after they were pulled from the country during weeks of deadly anti-government protests.

U.S. Embassy in Managua

The US Embassy UU in Managua expects to resume routine visa services, although it maintains that conditions in the country “are not normal.”

“The United States Embassy in Managua will resume routine visa services as soon as staff permit. All visa information services will be published on the Embassy’s website and on the Facebook page, ” the State Department informed Today Nicaragua.

- Advertisement -

“Though Nicaragua is not back to normal, due to President Daniel Ortega’s campaign of violence and intimidation…the Department of State has lifted” the mandatory evacuation order on non-emergency personnel and relatives, it said in the statement.

The Embassy is expected to increase the number and types of visa appointments for nonimmigrants as consular personnel rejoin. The State Department warned that applicants should expect long waits for appointments, over the next two or three months, especially for business visa and tourism interviews.

On the return of the Embassy staff and their families, the delegation in Managua explained in a statement that “although Nicaragua has not yet returned to normal, due to the campaign of violence and intimidation of Daniel Ortega’s government, The State Department – after establishing protocols to address the growing security problems – has lifted the mandatory exit status effective September 12, which allows the return of US personnel to Nicaragua. ”

Despite the return of its personnel, the Embassy explained that a travel warning remains in place for Nicaragua. The State Department maintains a call for its citizens not to travel to Nicaragua.

- Advertisement -

“Our travel recommendations to Nicaragua remain in effect at level 3. The State Department continues to strongly recommend American travelers to refrain from traveling to Nicaragua due to social turmoil, arbitrary law enforcement, criminality and the limited availability of health services, “the statement added.

The notice refers to statements made by the US vice president, Mike Pence, who says that in Nicaragua “the government of President Daniel Ortega is virtually waging a war against the Catholic Church and against those who demand democracy and national dialogue.”

Finally, the State Department affirmed that the U.S. remains at the side of the Nicaraguan people, “including the members of the Sandinista Front party, who call for the return of peace and democracy by holding free, fair and transparent elections.”

“We support the process of national dialogue led by the Catholic Church and we call, once again, the Ortega government to resume this process,” it concluded.

In recent months, the United States has raised its voice in the Organization of American States (OAS) in favor of respect for the human rights of Nicaraguans and the return of democracy to the country, through the advancement of elections. This position has also been made clear in the Security Council of the United Nations, which last week addressed the country’s socio-political crisis.

- Advertisement -

Article originally appeared on Today Nicaragua and is republished here with permission.

- Advertisement -
Q24N
Q24N is an aggregator of news for Latin America. Reports from Mexico to the tip of Chile and Caribbean are sourced for our readers to find all their Latin America news in one place.

Related Articles

Ortega Murillo forutne “injured” after devastating blows by US sanctions

TODAY NICARAGUA – In less than two years, the sanctions issued...

Coronavirus in Nicaragua: Parties in Masaya amid the pandemic

TODAY NICARAGUA – Have Nicaraguans found a way to beat cure...

MOST READ

Distrust of sectors complicate signing an agreement with the IMF this year

QCOSTARICA - Reaching a structural adjustment agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) this year seems like an impossible mission for President Carlos Alvarado,...

EV Imports brings the Tesla Model 3 to Costa Rica

QCOSTARICA - EV Imports, a Costa Rican company dedicated exclusively to the sale of 100% electric cars, brings to Costa Rica the 2020 Tesla...

COVID-19 in Costa Rica: 1,503 new cases for Wed October 21

QCOSTARICA - Following a drop in the new cases daily since Sunday, there was a spike on Wednesday, with the Ministry of Health reported...

Avianca reopens travel to Central and South America

QCOSTARICA - Avianca, the Colombian airline, announced that it will resume its operations to Costa Rica with options for travel to Central and South...

Parks opening begins: Mora announced reopening on November 1

QCOSTARICA - Last month, the Central Government announced that the reopening of public areas such as parks would remain in the hands of each...

Fall in fuel sales due to pandemic to affect canton road works

QCOSTARICA - The 82 cantons across Costa Rican could face 2021 marked by the deterioration of local roads, due to the fall in resources...

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Costa Rica and Latin America.

Article originally appeared on Today Nicaragua and is republished here with permission.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.