Saturday 18 September 2021

Violence despite Colombia rebels ceasefire

Paying the bills

Latest

What are we celebrating?

QCOSTARICA - From the gallows humor department is the...

Sala IV rejects covid patient’s claim for Caja to pay the cost of a private hospital

QCOSTARICA - A claim made by a family against...

Finally, migrant population in Costa Rica will be vaccinated against covid-19

QCOSTARICA - After complaints raised by migrants because they...

Costa Rica is the Main Exporter of Palm Oil in 2020

QCOSTARICA - In 2020, Costa Rica was the largest...

Uruguay considers allowing tourists to buy marijuana

Q24N - The first country in the world to...

Today’s Vehicle Restriction September 18: “ODD” ending plates CANNOT circulate

QCOSTARICA - Starting today, September 18, we go back...

500 Intel drones illuminated the night of celebration of the Bicentennial of Costa Rica

QCOSTARICA - During the celebration of the Bicentennial of...
Paying the bills

Share

A member of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrillas stops a chiva at a checkpoint on route between Caloto and Toribio, department of Cauca, Colombia. (AFP/File/Luis Robayo)
A member of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrillas stops a chiva at a checkpoint on route between Caloto and Toribio, department of Cauca, Colombia. (AFP/File/Luis Robayo)

(TODAY COLOMBIA) – Colombia’s FARC rebels began a 30-day unilateral ceasefire on Sunday but there was no let-up from government operations which left one guerilla dead.

The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) ordered its units to “cease fire and hostilities for 30 days” from December 15 in a message last week from Havana where peace talks to end Latin America’s longest running ins

urgency are being held.

- Advertisement -

President Juan Manuel Santos’ government has rejected the idea of any ceasefire until a peace deal has been signed.

The government on Sunday said security forces had launched an operation in the southwestern province of Cauca, one of the most restive regions in the insurgency.

The government said the offensive killed a FARC fighter believed to be responsible for a bomb attack against a former minister in Bogota last year which claimed the life of his bodyguard and driver.

Police said the FARC guerrilla targeted in Sunday’s operation had been planning further attacks in Cauca and Bogota.

Santos last week said FARC forces would not be shown any respite despite their unilateral ceasefire, saying to do so would give the rebels a strategic advantage.

Colombia has endured five decades of conflict that has left hundreds of thousands dead and displaced more than 4.5 million.

- Advertisement -

The FARC — Colombia’s largest and oldest rebel group, which was established in 1964 — has 7,000 to 8,000 fighters.

- Advertisement -
Paying the bills
Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

What are we celebrating?

QCOSTARICA - From the gallows humor department is the following meme...

Subscribe to our stories

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.