Saturday, 31 October 2020

Walmart and Gessa ask Coprocom to revoke blockade of purchase

Walmart and the Grupo Empresarial de Supermercados S. A. (Gessa) filed, separately, an appeal to the Comisión para la Promoción de la Competencia (Coprocom) – anticompetition commission – to allow Walmart’s purchase of Perimercados, Súper Compro and Saretto supermarkets.

The filing was made on Monday in response to Corprcom’s decision to block the sale, saying that it will affect prices and reduce competition.

- Advertisement -

Walmart and Gessa reached an agreement in July, whereby Walmart would purchase the 52 stores owned and operated by Gessa and would be added to its Másxmenos, Maxi Palí and Palí chain of supermarkets.

During the last 13 years, Walmart has reaped small and big victories in its conquest of the Central American market.

However, denying it the purchase of the Gessa chain may put the brakes to Walmart’s accelerated expansion in Costa Rica, an expansion announced in 2017 to double the number of stores in the country.

Walmart ‘s goal is to have in the country 200 points of sale by 2023.

The Conquest

- Advertisement -

The first step that Walmart made in Central America dates back to September 2005, when Walmart Stores obtained 33% of the American Retail Holding Company (Carhco) group, which was made up of the Corporación de Supermercados Unidos (CSU) and Guatemala’s Grupo Fragua.

A year later, Walmart Stores increased its stake in Carhco to 51% and formally changed its name to Walmart Central America.

At the end of 2009, Walmart Mexico bought 100% of Walmart Central America’s operations, with 51% belonging to Walmart Stores Inc., and the remaining 49% to the local partners of CSU (Costa Rica) and La Fragua (Guatemala).

During this process, the Hipermás big box store brand, created by CSU, was replaced with the Walmart brand and the strong investment in more stores.

Currently, Walmart operates 7210 stores in Central America – Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica – generating close to 35,000 direct jobs.

The brands include Walmart, Despensa Familiar, Pali, Maxi Despenssa, Maxi Pali, Paiz, Paiz, La Despensa de Don Juan, La Unión and Másxmenos.

- Advertisement -

 

 

- Advertisement -
Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

Walmart Exploiting Our Love of Bananas

Vice.com's Munchies reports that at Walmart, it's all about the banana....

Walmart, Automercado Announce New Hours For Covid-19

With the objective of protecting the health of customers and employees,...

MOST READ

New eruption of Rincón de la Vieja rose 2 kilometers above the crater

QCOSTARICA - The Rincón de la Vieja volcano, in north-western Costa Rica, about 23 km from Liberia, in the province of Guanacaste, gave a...

Central Bank continues efforts to stop the rise in the dollar exchange

QCOSTARICA - The Banco Central de Costa Rica (BCCR) - Central Bank - continues its policy of intervention, in an effort to stop the...

COVID-19 in Costa Rica; 1,210 cases for Friday, Oct 23;

QCOSTARICA - As of Friday, October 23, the country registered 1,210 new cases of COVID-19, of which 313 are by epidemiological link and 897...

COVID-19 in Costa Rica: 1,231 new cases for Oct 28, hospitalizations keeps dropping

QCOSTARICA - After a few days of new cases daily under 1000, on Wednesday, October 28, the Ministry of Health reported 1,321 new cases. Costa...

Reduction in Marchamo pending

It is expected that this Tuesday, October 27, Congress will approve the reduction in the 2021 Marchamo.

Campaign seeks to position Los Chiles as a tourist destination

TODAY COSTA RICA - Tourism entrepreneurs and the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) seek to give a new face to the canton of Los...

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Costa Rica and Latin America.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.