Saturday 19 June 2021

Zika Virus Outbreak in Jaco: 19 Cases So Far

The Health Ministry is maintaining the emergency decree that covers 31 cantones across the country, including the canton of Garabito that includes Jaco.
The Health Ministry is maintaining the emergency decree that covers 31 cantones across the country, including the canton of Garabito that includes Jaco.

QCOSTARICA – The number of patients with the Zika virus has reached 19 in the Pacific coastal community of Jaco, Puntarenas.

Health Minister Fernando Llorca said the increase in the number of cases in the area is no surprise, given the large “mobile” population in the area and the climatic conditions “favourable” for the hatchery of the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which transmits the Zika, Chikungunya and Dengue virus.

- Advertisement -

“We lost control in Jacó because of people travelling there, which apparently it may have been the link to the outbreak. We are now focusing all the fighting in Jacó (…) There is no surprise. We knew that with the rains the virus was going to appear somewhere,” said Llorca.

The total number of Zika cases in the country is now at 32.

Up to last week, the cases of Zika were concentrated in Guanacaste, specifically in the cantons of Nicoya and Carrillo where the first reports of the virus occurred and Alajuelita (San Jose), where four people were confirmed with the virus.

The Health Ministry is maintaining the emergency decree that covers 31 cantones across the country, including the canton of Garabito that includes Jaco.

- Advertisement -

Source: La Nacion

- Advertisement -

FACT CHECK:
We strive for accuracy in its reports. But if you see something that doesn’t look right, send us an email. The Q reviews and updates its content regularly to ensure it’s accuracy.

Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

Plate rupture has potential for stronger quakes

QCOSTARICA - The 5.7-magnitude tremor, felt at 5:27 pmon Thursday, occurred...

Rainy season official commenced in the Central Valley this week

QCOSTARICA - If you have been putting, resisting to give in,...

MOST READ

Companies covered up defective asphalt

QCOSTARICA - The judicial file of the Cochinilla Case, on alleged corruption in road works, exposes how three companies would have covered up the...

Nathalie Álvarez Mesén’s feature debut, Clara Sola, ready for the Cannes Directors’ Fortnight

Q ENTERTAINMENT (CINEUROPA) Nathalie Álvarez Mesén’s debut feature, Clara Sola, is ready to take part in this year’s Directors’ Fortnight at the Cannes Film...

OIJ investigation into road works corruption leads to inquiries in Panama

QCOSTARICA - The prestige of the company of some of the richest men in Costa Rica hangs by a thread. For many, the MECO...

Today’s Vehicle Restriction June 18: 9 & 0 CANNOT circulate

Today, Friday, June 18, vehicles with plates ending 9 & 0 CANNOT circulate The measure is countrywide and applied between 5:00 am and 9:00 pm,...

Your cell phone can now notify you if you had contact with a positive case of covid-19

QCOSTARICA - Fifteen months after the national emergency against covid-19 was declared, Costa Ricans will have a digital platform where you can be notified...

Despite investigation, construction of road works by H. Solís will continue

QCOSTARICA - Five major road works under the responsibility of the H. Solís company will continue in development despite investigations for alleged corruption involving...

Informants assisted OIJ in corruption investigations, says the minister

QCOSTARICA - The investigation into alleged bribery of public officials in exchange for contracts for road works, received help from informants within the Consejo...

Since 2018 MECO has received contracts from the State for more than ¢139 billion

QCOSTARICA - Almost ¢140 billion colones (US$227 million dollars) is the amount the MECO construction company was able to snare for public works contracts...

Construction companies that paid alleged bribes would be disqualified for ten years

QCOSTARICA - If it is proven in a final judgment that they did pay bribes to Conavi officials, several companies could be disqualified from...

WANT TO STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST!

Get our daily newsletter with the latest posts directly in your mailbox. Click on the subscribe and fill out the form. It's that simple!

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.