Monday, 23 November 2020

Costa Rica’s Plastic Money Market

tarjetascredito

QCOSTARICA – Almost three fourths (72%) of the credit cards circulating in the country have interest rates from between 40% and 50%, while the default interest varies from 24% to 65%.

The results are from a stud by the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Trade (Ministerio de Economía Industria y Comercio – MEIC), through the Directorate of Economic and Market Research.

- Advertisement -

To illustrate the point the following example is used: a Costa Rican wants to buy a TV which costs ¢200.000 colones (US$375) and an annual rate of 48% (the monthly rate is 4%) for a period of 60 months. In this case the consumer would pay a total of ¢530.000 (US$990).

IMG1427493400_tarjetas

Thus, consumers would be paying 2.6 times the price of the item.

According to the study, up to 31 January 2015, in the market circulating is a total of 1,919,951 plastic cards, a 2.5% increased compared to previous study (as at October 31, 2014).

The MEIC study reveals that credit card debt has increased 7.25% compared to the previous study, and delinquencies from one to 90 days is 7, 41% and greater than 90 days is 4.27%.

- Advertisement -

Debit Cards
In Costa Rica there are a total of 5,069,926 debit cards in circulation, representing a decrease of 211,489 from the previous study (as at October 31, 2014).

The study found that 127 debit cards do not charge for membership (34%), while the other 247 others (66%) charged amount of between ¢ 400 and US$10 annually.

In addition, eight financial institutions charge for use of their own ATMs after a number of free withdrawals, while six of these issuers allow free of charge debit cards between 4 and 12 transactions. If the card holder exceeds free withdrawals must pay an amount that varies between a range of US$0.15 to US$1.25 per transaction.

With respect to the use of ATMs of non-issuers, charges can range from US$0.50 – US$3 + 0.5%.

Source: MEIC

Editor’s Note: When it comes to foreign debit cards used on local (Costa Rica) ATMs, most banks and financial institutions will charge a fee that can range from ¢500 colones to ¢1.500 or more (ie Scotiabank), plus fees charged by the issuing bank.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -
Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

Canada’s largest city going on Covid lockdown

QTRAVEL - Canada's Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, on Friday warned so-called...

Remittances grow in Nicaragua despite the coronavirus pandemic

“Everybody sends money to family members for their daily subsistence and...

MOST READ

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel thanks to vaccines

QCOSTARICA - In the midst of so much suffering, the world jumped for joy last week when the Pfizer / BioNTech companies announced that...

Blind singer will choose the new Miss Costa Rica

QFARANDULA - It is said that everything enters through the eyes and more if we are talking about a beauty contest, but for Haury...

Covid-19 snatched parents from renowned CCSS surgeon

QCOSTARICA  - His heart thumped every time he reached the basement of the hospital and pressed the button for the elevator that would take him...

Turrialba Volcano will once again amaze visitors with guided tours from sunrise

QCOSTARICA - With a string of walks that will begin at 5 am and will continue every hour until 10 am, in groups of...

Canada files complaint against Costa Rica over high sugar tariffs

QCOSTARICA - The Canadian government filed a complaint with the World Trade Organization (WTO) against Costa Rica, for the protectionist measure taken by the...

The bicycle, fashion in Costa Rica in times of covid-19

QCOSTARICA - The bike (bici in Spanish), in fact, along with masks, face shields, alcohol gel and hand washing liquid soap, is one of...

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Costa Rica and Latin America.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.