Headline should read: Father of Victim In Via Caldera Crash Rules Out Reconciliation With Driver.
QCOSTARICA – The father of the 17 year old who died in a car crash on Good Friday on the Ruta 27, the San Jose-Caldera, says he wants to see his daughter’s killer in jail and rules out reconciling with the 22 year old driver.
Mauricio Guerrero Saavedra said the decision was taken in conjunction with the other three people who were injured in the accident.
A lawyer by profession, Guerrero said he is preparing a lawsuit against the young driver, identified by his last name Castro, to have him charged for homicide, whose punishment is from 12 to 18 years in prison.
Instead, the Ministerio Publico (prosecutor) is charing the driver with manslaughter, which is punishable from 1 to 10 years, when the driver is under the influence of alcohol.
“For us, it’s a homicide, because an individual consuming liquor and then gets behind the wheel, is breaking the rules, the vehicle is no longer a means of transport, it is a weapon. (…) He drank and then grabbed the steering wheel and decided to confront whoever. To commit murder, it is not necessary to know the victim, he chose randomly and picked my daughter Veronica,” said Guerrero.
Guerrero made his announcement Friday morning, at the same time Castro was inside the Pavas courthouse in a hearing.
In a previous hearing last week, Castro was released and without condition. The Pavas court, however, decided to impose conditions, that he surrender his driver’s license, his passport and sign in once a month, said prosecutor Hazel Mora Trejos.