For example. ¿Qué hace una estrella como tú volando tan bajo? (What is a beautiful star like you doing by flying so close to earth?) Unfortunately, there are many piropos which are directed towards women that are extremely vulgar and degrading.
Now there is a law in Costa Rica that can punish men with a fine and or jail time if they insult women with indecorous remarks. According to Article 392 of the Contravenciones Contra Las Buenas Costumbres, “Anyone can be put in jail from 5 to 30 days for expressing obscene words or gestures in public. If judge decides that the words expressed insult one’s honor, fines can range from a little over $100 to almost $800 dollars depending on the offense. Furthermore, if the guilty party can’t pay the fine, he will have to spend time in jail to work it off.”
Here is a list of the some of the vulgarities for which a man could be fined or thrown in jail in Costa Rica:
- ¡Caripicha! – Penis face
- ¡Chúpeme el culo! – Kiss my butt
- ¡Deje de ventilarse el hocico con tanta mierda!– Stop ventilating your mouth with so much BS
- ¡Hijueputa! – Son of a bitch
- ¡Huelepedos! – A kiss ass
- ¡Malparido! – Bastard
- ¡Mamapichas! – A person who performs falacio
- ¡Me cago en tu madre! – I will defecate on your mother (very insulting)
- ¡Qué ricas nalgas! What a nice butt you have!
- ¡Rica! – Rica or delicious woman
- ¡Vaya ver quién se la coge! – Get screwed or go to hell
There are a lot more of these obscene remarks which I have chosen not to include. God forbid if a foreigner utter one of these vulgarities!