Monday 20 September 2021

INS Provides US$21Million Dollars Loan To Promote The San Jose – San Ramon Project

Paying the bills

Latest

Today’s Vehicle Restriction September 20: Plates ending in “1 & 2” CANNOT circulate

QCOSTARICA - For today, Monday, September 20, despite being...

Athleta women’s brand opened its first store outside North America in Costa Rica

QCOSTARICA - Gap Inc.'s Athleta brand announced the opening...

Carlos Alvarado: Vaccine retention ‘delays global solution and increases risk of new virus variables’

QCOSTARICA - Costa Rica President Carlos Alvarado showed his...

Top 8 Ways To Make Money in 2021

There are many legal ways to make money in...

Otto Guevara compares Daniel Salas with a dictator for sanitary measures

QCOSTARICA - The vehicle restriction of odds and evens...

Today’s Vehicle Restriction September 19: “EVEN” ending plates CANNOT circulate

QCOSTARICA - For today, September 19, vehicles with EVEN...

What are we celebrating?

QCOSTARICA - From the gallows humor department is the...
Paying the bills

Share

 

QCOSTARICA – With a loan of US$21 million dollars from the Instituto Nacional de Seguros (INS) – state insurer – the government can move forward with the design and technical studies of the San Jose – San Ramon road project.

- Advertisement -

The INS board approved the loan requested by the Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transportes (MOPT), confirmed INS CEO Elian Villegas.

“The initial capital is important because all the design work must be completed before it can be presented to pension funds and investment groups,” said Villegas.

The term of the loan is for one year, with an extension for a second if needed and will be made in colones or dollars, as required by the project, at current bank interest rates.

Last July, banks interested in financing the project (Banco de Costa Rica – BCR, Bancrédito, BCT, Lafise, Scotiabank and Improsa) expressed a need for an initial capital provided by the state.

A month earlier, in June, the Banco Nacional (BN) declined its interest saying the project was financially risky.

With the loan in place, the MOPT now has to obtain the approval by the Contraloría General de República (Comptroller’s office) before it can cash in and put out tenders.

- Advertisement -

Read more on the San Jose – San Ramon road project:

Meanwhile, the Superintendencia General de Seguros (Sugese) – insurance regulator – is demanding an explanation from the INS for its recent decisions granting loans and donations.

The head of the Sugese, Tomás Soley, stressed that the use of INS resources is regulated within a legal framework: the Ley Reguladora del Mercado de Seguros (Law Regulating the Insurance Market) dictating that 25% of the profits of the INS are to be transferred to the state each year; the remaining 75% is to capitalize the insurance business.

Piping in the discussion is former INS CEO, Guillermo Constenla, who says the state insurer’s main objective is to use earnings to grow in the local market and is technically unacceptable to use INS resources to address the needs of the Government.

- Advertisement -

Source: La Nacion

- Advertisement -
Paying the bills
Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

Today’s Vehicle Restriction September 20: Plates ending in “1 & 2” CANNOT circulate

QCOSTARICA - For today, Monday, September 20, despite being a national...

Athleta women’s brand opened its first store outside North America in Costa Rica

QCOSTARICA - Gap Inc.'s Athleta brand announced the opening in Costa...

Subscribe to our stories

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.