Thursday, 24 September 2020

Mexico not ready for safe third country agreement with U.S.: ambassador

(Reuters) – Mexico is not ready to sign a safe third country agreement with the Trump administration regarding asylum seekers at their shared border, the Mexican ambassador to the United States said on Thursday.

Honduran migrants rest after returning to Mexico from the U.S. under the Migrant Protection Protocol (MPP) to wait for their court hearing for asylum seekers, in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, July 18, 2019. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez

Martha Barcena, speaking at an event in Washington, said the United States must speed up its processing of asylum claims and that migrants cannot wait in Mexico for three years waiting for U.S. action.

Martha Barcena rejected the so-called “safe third country” agreement days before the clock runs out on a deal struck with U.S. President Donald Trump in June. Under that commitment, Mexico averted punitive tariffs by promising to stem the flow of illegal migrants from Central America by July 22. If it failed, Latin America’s second largest economy would have to accept safe-third-country status.

- paying the bills -

“We have said once and again that we are not ready to sign” any such agreement, Barcena said at an event in Washington, D.C.

Her comments come days before Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard is slated to meet his U.S. counterpart Mike Pompeo in Mexico City this weekend to discuss migration and trade.

Barcena also urged Washington to speed up its processing of asylum claims. A recent Trump administration policy requires people seeking protection in the United States to wait for their U.S. court dates in Mexican border towns, part of his hard line stance to halt migration.

“You cannot leave the people waiting in Mexico for three years,” she said.

Trump pledged to build a wall on the southern border with Mexico in his 2016 run for office, and has since fought with Congress and in the courts for funding to pay for the barrier.

- paying the bills -

On Monday, he touted weekend raids aimed at immigrants who had been ordered deported, as his administration seeks to deter a surge in Central American families seeking asylum in the United States after fleeing poverty and gang violence in their home countries.

The administration also announced sweeping new asylum rules on Monday that bar almost all immigrants from applying for asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border by requiring them to first pursue safe haven in a third country through which they had traveled on the way to the United States.

On Thursday, Barcena described the move as “unilateral,” noting the Mexican government does not support it and interprets the rules as not sending migrants to Mexico but rather to their countries of origin.

 

Related Articles

Panama confronts human traffickers where a major migration route bottlenecks

Cronkite Borderlands Project - Panama – A spike in migrants moving...

Immigration keeps an eye on the caravan of migrants heading to Peñas Blancas

(QCOSTARICA) The Dirección de Migración y Extranjería (DGME) - Costa Rica's...

MOST READ

More than half a million lightning strikes have struck this year in Costa Rica

(QCOSTARICA) The lightning count that fell on Costa Rica this year already exceeds half a million, as confirmed by the atmospheric discharge network of...

COVID-19 was the leading cause of death in hospitals in Costa Rica during August

(QCOSTARICA) Deaths associated with COVID-19 became the leading cause of death in the hospitals in Costa Rica during the month of August. According to data...

Correos de Costa Rica resumes international postal service

(QCOSTARICA) The Costa Rica Post office - Correos de Costa Rica - announced, on Monday, Monday, the resumption of international service to 12 destinations. This...

Government fears “very drastic” consequences of not agreeing with the IMF

(QCOSTARICA) The Government affirmed Tuesday night, on a national television broadcast, that the country could face "very drastic" consequences if the agreement with the...

Aftermath of COVID-19: the nightmare that survivors go through

(QCOSTARICA) Achieving the status of "recovered" from COVID-19 does not always mean that the person will be able to immediately return to their normal...

COVID-19 Costa Rica: 1,320 new cases and 17 deaths for Thursday, Sept 17

(QCOSTARICA) Priscilla Herrera, medical manager of Health, reported for this Thursday, September 17, 1,302 new cases of COVID-19, of which 281 are by epidemiological...

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Costa Rica and Latin America.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.