Thursday 4 March 2021

Number of Small Businesses In Costa Rica Up 10%

It is estimated that by 2019 there were 396,796 micro-empresas (small businesses) in Costa Rica operating from homes in the country, 10% more than the 361,404 reported at the end of 2018.

On average, microempresas (small businesses) in Costa Rica have 13 years of economic activity, but there are differences by sector: in the agricultural sector, the average is 20 years, in the industry sector is 14 years, in the trade sector is 12 years and in the service sector the average 11 years, reported the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INEC).

According to the Encuesta Nacional de Microempresas de los Hogares 2019 (National Survey of Household Microenterprises 2019), “… another aspect that characterizes the microempresas, is that in 93.8% of economic activities, the producer works individually, with their partners or with people who help occasionally or unpaid (own account), the remaining 6.2%, are owners who employ people on a paid and permanent (employers), basis whether in their own home or another.

- Advertisement -

By sector of economic activity in 2019, of the 396,796 microempresas, the service sector accounted for 43.2%, with the highest concentration. In addition, industry accounts for 21.7%, commerce for 21.1% and agriculture for 14.1%.

Regarding service activities, the highest percentage of businesses are: transportation, food services, gardeners, beauty treatments, shrimp. In commerce, retail sales in establishments, at home and in the street prevail, as well as the maintenance and repair of motor vehicles; in industry, construction, the manufacture of bakery products and the production of dairy products predominate. In the agricultural activities, coffee and banana crops, cattle raising and pig farming are the most important. These are some examples of greater relative importance within a great diversity of activities developed by this sector of household enterprises.”

See full document (in Spanish).

- Advertisement -

FACT CHECK:
We strive for accuracy in its reports. But if you see something that doesn’t look right, send us an email. The Q reviews and updates its content regularly to ensure it’s accuracy.

Q Costa Rica
Reports by QCR staff

Related Articles

About 29,000 small businesses disappeared in one year

QCOSTARICA - About 29,000 microenterprises disappeared in 2019, according to the...

Costa Rica’s Capital Gains Tax Is The Highest In The Region

Costa Rica's capital gains tax is the highest in the region,...

MOST READ

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev celebrates his 90th birthday

Q REPORTS - The former leader of the Soviet Union and 1990 Nobel Peace Prize winner, Mikhail Gorbachev, who has been self-isolating to protect...

Japan creates Ministry of Loneliness

Japan is beefing up measures against loneliness, taking a first major step toward comprehensively tackling a pervasive problem in the nation that has again...

24 Travelers found with false covid-19 test at San Jose airport

QCOSTARICA - A total of 24 travelers, so far, face problems with the law when discovered trying to leave Costa Rica, through the San...

Vehicle Restrictions for March

QCOSTARICA - Due to an improvement in the epidemiological situation of the health emergency, starting March 1, the only daytime vehicular restrictions for the...

Costa Rica expects to receive $2.5B in international loans

QCOSTARICA - Borrowing its way out of the current financial crisis seems to be objective for the Carlos Alvarado government. Obtaining about US$2.5 billion this...

The Ultimate Guide to Moving to Costa Rica

Costa Rica is one of the world’s most desirable ex-pat locations and a retirement haven in Central America. The country is blessed with an...

Tamarindo and Sámara received recognition for Tsunami preparedness

QCOSTARICA - For their preparedness to face tsunamis, the communities of Tamarindo and Sámara were recognized by the Junta Nacional Tsunami Ready de Costa...

Nicaragua begins vaccination against covid-19 in people with chronic diseases

TODAY NICARAGUA – Nicaragua, on Tuesday, March 2,  began to apply the Russian Sputnik V vaccine against covid-19 to people with chronic diseases, in...

False dentist worked from his garage and charged ¢ 100,000 for ‘braces’ that come off in a few hours

QCOSTARICA - A 30-year-old man, who posed as a dentist, set up an office in the garage of a house in Siquirres, Limón, where...

WANT TO STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST!

Get our daily newsletter with the latest posts directly in your mailbox. Click on the subscribe and fill out the form. It's that simple!

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.