Wednesday, 30 September 2020

The Implications in Costa Rica Of A Liberty Latin America and Millicom Merger

Although it would be a global merger, Liberty must request the approval of the merger from the local authorities in Costa Rica

Costa Rica’s cable television, IP telephony, and cellular phone market could be concentrated in the hands of a few with the recent news of a possible merger between Liberty Latin America, that recently purchased a major stake in Cabletica and Millicom, which operates in Costa Rica under the Tigo brand.

Although it would be a global merger, Liberty must request the approval of the merger from the local authorities in Costa Rica

Although the merger, if one occurs, is global, both companies require the approval of the Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones (Sutel) – Costa Rica’s telecom regulator and the Comisión de Promoción de la Competencia (Coprocom) – competition commission.

The objective of the Sutel and Corpcom is preventing market dominance and protect consumers.

- paying the bills -

On January 14, Liberty Latin America confirmed that it is in preliminary negotiations with Millicom International Cellular for a possible transaction. The firm clarified that the talks between both parties could reach an agreement. Or they could end in nothing.

In Costa Rica, such a merger would imply that the new operator would have substantial power in the domestic market, given that Cabletica and Tigo are the operators with a strong presence especially in Internet and cable television.

Sutel’s data (from 2015, the latest published) reveals that Cabletica and Tigo had a 39% share of fixed Internet subscribers. In 2017, the two companies accounted for 68% of cable television.

Tigo also offers satellite television service, dominating over the competition Claro, Movistar, and Sky.

In IP telephony, Cabletica and Tigo dominated the segment with 54% of customers at the end of 2017.

Liberty’s presence in the region

- paying the bills -

In 2018 Liberty Latin America acquired 80% of Cabletica (the remaining 20% remains in the hands of Televisora de Costa Rica), a purchase that was announced in February of that year and approved by regulatory authorities last June.

In 2014, Liberty Global purchased Cable & Wireless (C&W), which includes mobile telephony services in several markets including Panama. In Costa Rica C&W only offers services at the corporate level.

Rico
Ricohttp://www.theqmedia.com
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of online magazines where everything is Q! In these times of new normal, stay at home. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Related Articles

Cabletica user? This may interest you

For the better part of Wednesday, thousands of users of Cabletica...

ICE Began Lay Off Of 220 Cable Vision Employees

The state power and telecom, the Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad (ICE),...

MOST READ

Tax hike an uphill race for government to negotiate with the IMF

(QCOSTARICA) A varied and wide outbreak of criticism and manifestations of discontent arose almost simultaneously with the presentation of the proposal prepared by the...

Bolivia descends into chaos ahead of elections

(Q24N) With roughly one month to go until the Bolivian general election, the country is descending into violent political strife. On September 20, for...

Costa Rica opens air borders to tourists from Mexico and Jamaica; Ohio added to U.S. list

(QCOSTARICA) Starting October 1, citizens and residents of Mexico, Jamaica and the U.S. state of Ohio are authorized to visit Costa Rica, announced the...

Government fears “very drastic” consequences of not agreeing with the IMF

(QCOSTARICA) The Government affirmed Tuesday night, on a national television broadcast, that the country could face "very drastic" consequences if the agreement with the...

Ruta 27 tolls will increase starting Thursday

(QCOSTARICA) While the economic crisis felt by one and all due to the COVID-19 pandemic, prices of goods and services continue to rise. Starting on...

Nicaragua: Daniel Ortega Seeks New “Gag Law”, Prescribing Fines and Jail

TODAY NICARAGUA – In an escalation of their fight to silence critical voices, the Ortega regime now targets the opposition and independent media. The...

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Costa Rica and Latin America.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.