Tuesday, 14 July 2020

El Salvador confirms its first positive case of coronavirus

El Salvador president Nayib Bukele said the first case is of a man who entered the country illegally

The President of El Salvador, Nayib Bukele, confirmed on Wednesday night the first positive case of the new coronavirus (Covid-19).

The Salvadoran president assured that it is a patient who allegedly entered the country illegally.

El Salvador has been on lockdown, one of the first countries in Central America to bar the entry of foreigners.

- paying the bills -

The case was located in the department of Metapán, where a health shield has already been installed for 48 hours. “Today, more than ever, we must be united,” said Bukele.

The confirmed case in El Salvador comes just minutes after Nicaraguan vice president Rosario Murillo reported on the first Covid-19 case on Nicaraguan soil, and hours after Costa Rica confirmed its first covid-19 death.

According to the press secretariat of the presidency of El Salvador, the patient is isolated and “it is very likely that he entered the country through a blind spot.”

“Just as we deal with the first stage of virus prevention, we will also continue working to contain it,” Bukele said on the national network.

The Salvadoran president also explained that a team of 80 people has been activated who will work with the support of the authorities to identify “Salvadorans who had contact with the patient who tested positive for Covid-19 to carry out the health tests.”

- paying the bills -

Bukele noted that El Salvador is prepared to attend 1,300 cases of coronavirus. “80% in care rooms and the other 20% in hospital beds,” Bukele said.

“We are going to fight so that the numbers are minimal. With the two hospitals we have for this and the care rooms, we are going to have the best facilities in Latin America to contain this virus,” declared the Salvadoran president.

Coronavirus Covid-19 in Central America (March 18, 2020):

  • Belize: 0 confirmed cases, 0 reported deaths
  • Costa Rica: 69 confirmed cases, 1 reported death
  • Guatemala: 8 confirmed cases, 1 reported deaths
  • Honduras: 12 confirmed cases, 0 reported deaths
  • Nicaragua: 1 confirmed case, 0 reported deaths
  • El Salvador: 1 confirmed case, 0 reported deaths
  • Panama: 109 confirmed cases, 1 reported deaths

Total regional: 200 cases, 3 reported deaths

Q Costa Rica
Q Costa Rica
Reports by QCR staff

Related Articles

Man takes off facemask to spit at passengers

(QCOSTARICA) A bus with 38 people traveling from Peñas Blancas (northern...

Record one-day COVID-19 deaths in Costa Rica: 4 people

(QCOSTARICA) This Monday, Costa Rica had the highest number of deaths...

MOST READ

Deaths associated with covid-19 reach 30

(QCOSTARICA) A 50-year-old man had high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease, and secondary hyperparathyroidism, and a 47-year-old man, also suffering from high blood pressure,...

Fuerza y Luz will suspend public attention in branches from Monday

As of Monday, July 13, the Compañía Nacional de Fuerza y Luz (CNFL), light and power utility, branches will remain closed to the...

IMF: Latin America Will Suffer Worst Economic Crisis in Its History

(QREPORTS) The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has lowered its growth prospects for Latin America and the Caribbean by predicting that economic activity will fall...

Reactive and non-proactive measures to deal with the health emergency will be announced Friday

(QCOSTARICA) Despite the fact that at the noon presser President Carlos Alvarado assured that he would announce the new restrictions to face the peak...

COVID-19 in Costa Rica: 350 new cases

(QCOSTARICA) Case records don't last long. This Wednesday another 350 confirmed infections were reported in the last 24 hours. According to the information provided by...

Will the reopening of Costa Rica borders occur on August 1? This says the government

(QCOSTARICA) Will the spike in new cases, increased hospitalizations and deaths of the past couple of weeks delay the reopening of borders to tourists...

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Costa Rica and Latin America.