From COSTA RICA EXTRA – What better way to enjoy today’s Costa Rica game than with five pounds of buffalo chicken wings and cerveza (beer)? None.
And best, you don’t have to leave home, just call up some friends(make sure you really pick the right friends you really want to share your wings with) and enjoy.
Why buffalo wings? Buffalo wings have become a popular bar food and appetizer. To really watch a sporting event or celebrate, no other wings will do.
If you choose to make your own, you can surf the web for the best recipe.
Just in case here is one for you. Me, at home, I like my baked buffalo wings (given I don’t have a deep fryer). If done right, you can make them crispy without the deep frying. And takes less than 15 minutes to prep and about an hour to cook.
(the amounts will depend on how many chicken wings you want):
- All-purpose flour
- Cayenne pepper (found in most supermarkets; Auto Mercado for sure)
- Garlic powder
- Chicken wings (Pipasa, of course)
- Hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot – no other will do. It is available for use at the Auto Mercado and in big size at Pricesmart)
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and lightly grease with cooking spray (this will help them from sticking). Place the flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt into large bowl and mix. Add the chicken wings making sure all are well coated with the flour mixture.
- Place the wings onto the prepared baking sheet, and place into the refrigerator. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Whisk together the melted butter and hot sauce in a small bowl. Dip the wings into the butter mixture, and place back on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is no longer pink in the centre, and crispy on the outside, about 45 minutes. Turn the wings over halfway during cooking so they cook evenly.
- (Before serving you may want to nuke them for about 3 minutes to make sure they are fully cooked in the centre).
The easy way:
Head over to Pricesmart and get a 5lb bag of Tyson already cooked classic buffalo style wings. Just put them in the oven and eat. A little pricey, about ¢15.000 colones (US$28), but…
This is not an endorsement of Pricesmart, just there are no other better precooked, prepared buffalo wings to be found in Costa Rica.
This is up to personal taste. There is the can’t go wrong Imperial. And the Rock Ice, Pilsen and Bavaria from the Cerveceria. And the imported. Automercado has all types of imported: Mexican, American, Colombian, etc. etc.