QCOSTARICA – A spark from a welding torch was the probable cause of the morning in fire in Heredia Wednesday, that engulfed the Euromobilia factory warehouse located in Los Lagos.
Click here for all the photos.
A quick response by the Bomberos (fire department), brought under control the fire that started shortly after 10am. The smoke could be seen throughout the Central Valley.
Fire Chief Hector Chaves said the fire originated outside the structure, were some work was being done. Inside the building was full of woods, residents, paints, solvents and polyurethane foam, all highly flammable, causing the fire that started from a spark to quickly propagate.
Sydney Rosenstock, vice president of Euromobilia said the warehouse was a storage depot. The company will not affect store operations, the warehouse being one of several the company has.
Without water. According to Chaves, the situation was difficulted due the lack of water in the six hydrants in the area, forcing having to bring in two water tankers.
Francisco Angulo, spokesman for the Empresa de Servicios Públicos de Heredia (ESPH), the Heredia water utility, said that two of the Fire hydrants were working, water pressure decreased during the emergency.
“If you connect seven pumpers to two hydrants, there will be a drop in water pressure. But they weren’t dry,” said Angulo.