Saturday 19 June 2021

Is He In or Out? Enigmatic government reaction to possible resignation of Foreign Minister

The central government does not confirm the possible departure, nor does the Ministry of Communication nor the Ministry of Foreign Affairs deny it

In a puzzling and even mysterious way, the government avoided confirming or denying the news of the possible resignation of Foreign Minister Manuel Ventura.

Manuel Ventura (far right) at the time of being named Chancellor by President Carlos Alvarado, on January 8, 2019. The image shows the former Minister of the Presidency, Rodolfo Piza; and the first lady, Claudia Doubles. Photo archive/La Nacion

“What we have to say officially is that there is no announcement and that the Casa Presidencial (Government House) does not confirm the information. When we have an announcement to make, we will let you know,” Communication Minister Nancy Marín told the press.

- Advertisement -

Monday morning, Noticias Monumental published that Ventura will resign on Friday for health reasons, that the post has worn him out.

Neither the Ministry of Communication nor the Ministry of Foreign Affairs denied the publication.

Casa Amarilla (the Foreign Ministry in San Jose) said that the ministry “will not comment on the unofficial information.”

Monumental cites “two sources”, one from the Casa Presidencial and another from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which affirm, “under the condition of anonymity”, which Ventura leaves office on January 31 “for reasons of health and internal wear ” of the ministry.

- Advertisement -

The news of Ventura’s (alleged) departure comes six days after the legislative committee on international affairs agreed to call Ventura to answer questions to the report on the organizational climate of the Costa Rican embassy in Geneva, Switzerland, which was under the direction of ambassador Elayne White.

The minister “deplored and expressed concern” that this document “has been leaked and disseminated,” according to a note posted on the official profile of that ministry on Facebook

The news is also on the heels of last week’s visit of Ventura’s counterpart, U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, to Costa Rica and that on Friday, January 24, the Costa Rica Ambassador to Washington was told it would be very difficult to return Costa Rica’s security risk to level 1, after being downgraded to level 2 earlier this month.

Ventura, if he will resign, would be the second chancellor to leave the post. During the first year of the Alvarado Quesada administration, Vice President Epsy Campbell held that position but resigned after a number of controversies.

- Advertisement -

FACT CHECK:
We strive for accuracy in its reports. But if you see something that doesn’t look right, send us an email. The Q reviews and updates its content regularly to ensure it’s accuracy.

Related Articles

U.S. Explains to Costa Rica why it raised the alert level for travelers

The Office of Consular Affairs of the U.S. State Department reaffirmed...

Costa Rica’s New Chancellor Will Have A “More Active Role” In The Crisis in Nicaragua and Venezuela

President Carlos Alvarado said on Tuesday his government will give greater...

MOST READ

Today’s Vehicle Restriction June 15: 3 & 4 CANNOT circulate

Today, Tuesday, June 15, vehicles with plates ending 3 & 4 CANNOT circulate The measure is countrywide and applied between 5:00 am and 9:00 pm,...

Internet speed decreases during peaks in service

QCOSTARICA - Ever wonder why your surfing on the Internet slows down, to even a crawl, mainly in the evenings? This is due to...

Immigration system failure affected passengers at the San Jose airport Monday

QCOSTARICA -  In yet another system-wide failure in the immigration check-out, passengers looking to leave Costa Rica Monday morning by way of the Juan...

Vaccination commission endorses J & J vaccine, says no to Sinovac

QCOSTARICA - The Comisión Nacional de Vacunación y Epidemiología (CNVE)  - National Vaccination and Epidemiology Commission - endorsed the use of Johnson and Johnson...

Your cell phone can now notify you if you had contact with a positive case of covid-19

QCOSTARICA - Fifteen months after the national emergency against covid-19 was declared, Costa Ricans will have a digital platform where you can be notified...

OIJ investigation into road works corruption leads to inquiries in Panama

QCOSTARICA - The prestige of the company of some of the richest men in Costa Rica hangs by a thread. For many, the MECO...

Should the vaccination against covid-19 be opened?

QCOSTARICA - Six months after the start of vaccination against covid-19, will it be time to open the campaign to those who want to...

Bribed with cars, sexual favors and money in exchange for road works contracts

QCOSTARICA - The OIJ uncovered a big pothole on Monday when it was announced that public officials had allied with construction companies that, apparently,...

Since 2018 MECO has received contracts from the State for more than ¢139 billion

QCOSTARICA - Almost ¢140 billion colones (US$227 million dollars) is the amount the MECO construction company was able to snare for public works contracts...

WANT TO STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST!

Get our daily newsletter with the latest posts directly in your mailbox. Click on the subscribe and fill out the form. It's that simple!

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.