(QCOSTARICA) – Miss Costa Rica 2015 candidate, Stephanie Rostrán, has decided not to take part in the beauty contest to take place in the country on August 8.
On Monday, Rostrán told La Nacion that she sent a note on Saturday to the Mis Costa Rica organizers, notifying them of her decision.
The 23 year-old from San Joaquin de Flores, Heredia, said her resignation is “a sensitive issue”, and that both sides, she and Televisora de Costa Rica (Teletica) agreed on a mutal parting.
Rostrán said her departure is for “personal reasons”.
Asked if her decision is related to the controversy over the Donald Trump statements and decisions by Univision, NBC and now Televisa to drop the televising of the Miss USA next month, Rostrán referred to a confidentiality clause that is part her release.
Nevertheless, the beauty did not refuse to give her opinion on the Trump speech earlier this month. “Humanity and equality should never be forgotten … how is it possible that a person humiliates others for money,” she said.
“The organization in each country is independent of Miss Universe. I feel it is not right that the next Miss Costa Rica take part in Miss Universe, we must demonstrate Latin American unity,” added Rostrán.
The 10 finalists of the Miss Costa Rica, including Rostrán, were announced on May 21. The contest will now continue with only nine candidates.
Gabriela Alfaro, organizer of the Miss Costa Rica, said the presentation of the candidates this Thursday, at 7:00pm at the Hilton Garden Inn in La Sabana, will continue as planned and that the Miss Costa Rica organization will in the coming days put out a press release on the Donald Trump issue.