(COSTA RICA EXTRA) Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) are the main ingredient for this nutritious, wholesome snack! Like most legumes, chickpeas have long been renowned for their fiber content, and they also make a great vegan protein source.
They are a staple in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine, and for good reason. They’re cheap, nutritious, and keep you feeling full long after you’ve eaten.
Simple Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed (You can also use chickpeas that have been previously cooked.)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp. Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper (or other hot pepper) to desired hotness
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- Drain and rinse chickpeas from soakin in water for more than 17 hours.
- Lay chickpeas out on kitchen towel or paper towel and dry off as much excess water as possible.
- Add oil.
- Sprinkle salt, garlic powder.
- Add hot pepper
- Place in oven preheated to 400° F.
- Bake for 20 minutes, roll around, then bake for 20 more. More if you want extra crunchy, but careful not to burn.
A 400g bag of chickpeas at your local supermarket in Costa Rica is between ¢600 and ¢800 colones, the imported at double that.
Simple to make and high on fibre.