Tuesday, 24 November 2020

Juan Carlos Bolaños Will Remain In Jail For Another 6 Months

The Court of Appeal of Criminal Sentence (Tribunal de Apelación de Sentencia Penal) on Tuesday revoked the release from jail to house arrest of Juan Carlos Bolaños, the key figure in the Chinese cement import scandal, the “Cementazo”.

Juan Carlos Bolaños is the key figure in the “Cementazo” – the Chinese cement import scandal

Bolaños will have to continue in preventive detention (remand) for six more months, until November 3.

- Advertisement -

On Monday, a criminal court accepted the argument by defense lawyer to allow Bolaños to leave jail and be under house arrest and wear an ankle bracelet, while the Ministerio Publico (Prosecutor’s Office) continues its investigation in the case.

The Office of the Prosecutor made the announcement at 6:40 pm Tuesday through Facebook.

“The Attorney General’s Office confirms that the Court of Appeals of the Second Judicial Circuit of San José accepted this afternoon the request to extend the preventive detention of the accused Bolaños Rojas for another six months.

“The extension applies from May 3 to November 3, 2019.”

- Advertisement -

Fernando Vargas, one of the lawyers for Bolaños, said last night he was “astonished” at the reversal and accuses the Prosecutor’s Office of harassment against his client.

The lawyer said the strategy is to continue to fight to get his client out of jail and under house arrest so that his client can have the badly needed knee surgery.

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

Former General Manager of BCR rejected as a “high risk” client by Banco Popular

Imagine being once the head of Costa Rica's State bank, the...

Chinese Cemenet Importer Juan Carlos Bolaños Remains In Prison

Chinese cement importer Juan Carlos Bolaños will spend 6 more months...

MOST READ

Pandemic hits employment for women the hardest

QCOSTARICA - The gaps that COVID-19 will leave on Costa Rican society will be profound. Its depth is already noticeable and suffers in social...

Covid-19 in Costa Rica: 1,219 new case on Thursday; total now 128,231

QCOSTARICA - The Ministry of Health reported for Thursday, November 19, 1,129 new cases of covid-19 in Costa Rica, for a total now of...

Covid-19 contagion rate in Costa Rica highest in five weeks

QCOSTARICA - The rate or speed of contagion, also called the R rate, of covid-19 in Costa Rica this last week registered its highest...

Remittances grow in Nicaragua despite the coronavirus pandemic

“Everybody sends money to family members for their daily subsistence and to help them get ahead. That is the goal: to help your family...

Category 5 Hurricane Iota makes landfall on North Caribbean coast of Nicaragua

TODAY NICARAGUA – Hurricane Iota, a category 5 hurricane, made landfall Monday night, November 16, on the North Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua with sustained...

Foreigners driver’s license exemption

QCOSTARICA - The Ministerio de Obras Publicas y Transportes (MOPT) has extended the driving privileges of foreigners non-residents (tourists) who have remained in Costa...

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Costa Rica and Latin America.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.