The few who hung around following the inauguration ceremony of the Central American Games in San José got a special kinds of show – the roof of the west side of the white elephant , sorry, the national stadium, caught fire. Authorities believe it was caused by the fireworks display.
Hector Chavez, director of th Cuerpo de Bomberos (fire department) said it took three fire brigades to bring the fire under control that destroyed some 20 sections of the roof. Firefighters had to use chemicals to douse the flames.
The fire broke out, it appears, during the last of the fireworks display from a falling spark. According to eye witnesses sparks from the fireworks also fell on onto the street in front of the stadium.
No one was reported injured, the fire only cause damage to the structure.